Tuesday, April 14, 2009

3.) Radiation Therapy


Day #1 started Chemo and Radiation. After a simulated radiation treatment where they use a ct scanner rather then a particle accelerator to get the proper aiming set. the goal is to treat the tumor and surrounding tissue and lympth nodes while avoiding other organs. That being complete Today was the day for the first real dose of radiation. After the warnings about erectile dysfunction caused by all three therapy's - chemo surgery and radiation I wasn't real excited to get started. I wasn't and never have been convinced they do all they can to minimize the unintended consequences of treatment. I hate to seem ungrateful for them trying to help save my life but I have a strong interest in wanting it to still be a life I want saved. They asked me if I understood and consented to the treatment and I wasn't enthusiastic so I got to talk to the radiation doctor some more. He said it was up to me I could decide not to do treatment, he was not really getting where I was coming from. I relented to going ahead without all the information I wanted. I recognised he was not going to be able to teach me all he knows which is what I was after. The treatment was long and very painful. The radiation wasn't painful its the contraption they put you in to keep you in the same position. There was nothing supporting me from just below my nipples to my pelvic bone. The first few treatments take longer as they take xrays to verify your position and draw marks on you to keep you lined up. I never thought it had to be painful but was for what seemed no good reason. The x-ray photo is my actual position, I was told to drink a lot and let my belly hang as low as possable to get it out of the way.

2 Comments:

Blogger a Me said...

"I have a strong interest in wanting it to still be a life I want saved."

Amen.

November 12, 2009 at 12:55 PM  
Blogger Kitty said...

Ever since my first mammogram, I have thought that the people designing medical equipment should be REQUIRED to use what they produce. :-/

See you Saturday.

November 14, 2009 at 7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home